Sunday, January 17, 2021

Project 365 - January 17, 2021

Abandoned But Not Forgotten


I love to photograph old neon signs.  In Miami Beach, there are so many that I have yet to photograph. But this past weekend, I saw this sign as we were stopped at a red light.  

There are so many things that I love about this particular sign.  The juxtaposition of the peacock sitting above the sign.  The curlicue iron attached to an arm that must have had an additional sign hanging from it at one point in time.  The palm tree fronds framing the sign.  The bright yellow color of the wall behind the rusty color of the sign.

But my favorite part of this sign is how it sparked my imagination as to what life was like when this sign would come to life as the sun set.  Was this during the 1940s? Was World War II taking place? Was this even earlier, maybe the 1920s? It has a bit of an art deco feel to it. Could this sign be almost 100 years old? Probably not.  But, there were a lot of thoughts traveling through my mind as we sat at this red light.

So, this sign may be abandoned for now, but it has not been forgotten.

No comments: