Saturday, January 2, 2021

Project 365 - January 1, 2021

My New Normal

And it is here . . . 2021.  A new year, a new beginning. A new normal.


This past year has been a nightmare. Not only has there been a pandemic of extraordinary circumstances, but I have also lost my best friend, my partner in life, my true love, my husband of 40 years.

Although it has only been six months, it still feels like yesterday. I suppose it will always remain fresh in my mind because when you know someone for more than half of your life, you can't possibly forget any of it.

Family and friends have been wonderful in helping me through this grieving process. But no one can really understand the true reality of what I am experiencing unless they have gone through this themselves.

However, I remember when Rachel was first born and was just learning how to walk, talk, and eat by herself.  Sometimes there was frustration on my part and Joel would gently remind me that Rachel was only on this Earth for 200 (or so) days.  So when I get frustrated or sad, I do hear Joel's voice reminding me that he has only been gone for 180 days.  It will get easier as I move forward with my life, but I will never forget.

Sometimes, before I go to sleep, I will flip through photos on my phone and smile as I remember what we were doing or saying just before I took that image. Then I am okay to go to sleep and think of those happy memories.

Another way for me to move forward is to keep busy with projects. Not only am I cleaning out closets, the attic, and the garage, but I have learned how to cook and now I am returning to my photography. This too will be a process because I know it takes time, creativity, and discipline.  

When I spoke to Susan to wish her a happy new year, we both made a pact to continue our Project 365 blogs.  Susan is an artist and photographer and she will also be posting daily on Instagram!

So here is my photo for January 1. After a long day of napping on the couch because I stayed up until 2 am and my body was not very happy about it, I took a walk around my neighborhood. I love when I walk through the neighborhood because I never know what I will find. I was watching a bunch of white Ibis flying across the lake, but as I sat down, I realized that this bird was calmly sitting on this branch not more than 10 feet from me and never moved. Almost like she was posing for me. A new year's present for my new Project 365.


I added in a second one to show the Ibis!

Happy New Year! Cheers to our new normal.



No comments: