Friday, January 15, 2021

Project 365 - January 12

Living with Art


For as long as I can remember, I have always been surrounded by art in one form or another. As a child, my mother raised me as a single mom for seven years and she always introduced me to the arts. If she didn't have a Miles Davis or Thelonious Munk LP playing on the turntable, then it was West Side Story or Oaklahoma!

Visual art was also a big influence in my life.  There were tremendous coffee table books all over our apartment and in the round closet that I loved to explore because . . . well, for one thing, it was round. And when the Mona Lisa was exhibited at the World's Fair in either 1964 or 1965, we stood in a very long line to have a few moments to gaze at it before we were quickly ushered off.

When I was in high school, I was not only in a community theater company, but I also took a special English class where we studied playwrights and attended Broadway and Off-Broadway shows as homework!

As an adult, I have been an arts administrator for more than three decades and have sampled every discipline of the arts through our local and regional arts organizations and artists as well as traveling shows and exhibitions.

I can't imagine a world without the arts. And, I live with an artist  . . . and I am an artist. So I never know what I will find on my dining room table.  This is what I found today.

No comments: