Monday, August 22, 2011

Photo of the Day - August 22, 2011

First Day of School

I feel it.  The winding down.  Although today was the beginning of a new school year, I know that there is only one more before Joel and I are empty nesters.  It is a weird and funny feeling.  Sort of sad, but not really.

It was harder to let go of Rachel when she left for college three years ago.  Now she is a junior and when she leaves for school, I am used to the routine.

I may not like the fact that my children are growing up and will be leaving home, but on the other hand, I don't want my children to live here forever, but they are welcome to come back as often as they like, this will ALWAYS be their home.  I want them to expand their worlds, continue to grow, learn and experience life.  I want to see their accomplishments.

So as I took this photo of Adina this morning, although I was a bit sad, I was also extremely proud of her.  I have all of the first day of school photos, ones where both Rachel and Adina are standing on or near this rock.  When Adina was a toddler and going off to preschool, she could barely climb this rock!  Now she towers above it.  And so do her accomplishments . . . two AP courses, unbelievable artist and incredible at Interpretive Debate.

So the winds are changing here at home, but all for the better.


No comments: