Saturday, July 23, 2011

Photo of the Day - July 23, 2011

Lazy Days of Summer

Well, maybe not that lazy!  Adina started Debate Camp on Friday.  It is every day, seven days a week for two weeks from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.  So this morning Joel and I dropped her off and then headed downtown Fort Lauderdale.

We drove down Old Griffin Road which really feels like old Florida.  While we were sitting at the red light, I snapped this shot of the Tropical Acres sign.  I adore this sign.  Not only is it a symbol of what Fort Lauderdale was, but it is also a very cool neon sign that is a landmark.  I have only eaten at this restaurant once but it was fun.  It is very old fashioned, but the food is good.

I wanted to see how the Urban Market does in the summer.  Well, after we found a nice parking spot near the Josephine S. Leiser Opera Center (not there, across the street where we paid!), we found out that there were only three vendors.  I felt bad for them.  There were absolutely no people visiting them.  I suppose it is a bit hot during the summer and we all have places to be and vacations to travel on, but still, the Riverwalk is so pretty early in the morning and it is fairly well shaded so you can stay cool.

I didn't want to leave right away so Joel found a nice picnic table to sit at and I wandered along the New River with my camera.  Not really that inspired, but I did snap a few shots.  

Then it was off to the West Side School which houses the Broward County Historical Commission.  My friend and colleague was working there today and he gave Joel and me a personal tour of the entire facility.  I have been there many times, but Joel hasn't.  Joel was impressed with all the "old stuff" that they have housed in their archives.

As we were leaving I saw this tree that had such pretty flowers on it.  So I stopped to snap a few shots of it.  I would LOVE to have this outside my house.

No comments: