Sunday, December 5, 2010

Project 365 - Art Basel

Art Basel

Art Basel takes place one weekend a year in Miami Beach.  It is the premiere art event for artists, art dealers and art buyers.  As for me, I am the art enthusiast and I was so excited when my neighbor, Robert, invited me to join him and his friend, Beverly, to go down to Miami Beach to not only see the Julian Lennon photography exhibit at the Adrenne Arsht Performing Arts Center, but to also wander around the various places where artists were showing their artwork.

If anyone knows me at all, they know that not only am I a Beatle freak, but also love photography exhibits, especially black and white photography.  So to have all of that rolled into one exhibit was just the best!

After we went to the Arsht Center, we traveled over to Collins Avenue, found a parking spot IMMEDIATELY which is really rare and walked over to La Sandwicherie for a quick bite.  It was the same place where I ate with my Level III photography buddies two weeks ago, but that is another story.

Then we walked up Collins and went to the Carlton Hotel where each room on the first floor was transformed into an artist gallery for Art Basel.  There were some amazing artists, and there were some that were just okay.  But all of them were so interesting and willing to talk to us.  We must have spent more than an hour wandering around each gallery and talking and sipping wine.

Then it was on to another gallery in another hotel and then we went into the Delano Hotel which is now owned by Madonna and has been unbelievably revamped and redesigned.  There was a very young, hip crowd there and it was a hopping evening.

On the way back to the car we stopped at Espanola Way where we sat outside and had coffee and chai lattes and chatted about our evening, politics and the upcoming holidays before we headed back to Broward!

For more photos, visit my Flickr website.

No comments: