Sunday, November 9, 2008

Project 365 - Photo of the Day - November 9, 2008

This is why we moved to South Florida. For days like this. The temperature in the 70s with low humidity. Joining a group of friends in the park under the shade trees with a picnic. Reading the Sunday newspaper, talking if we feel like it and listening to jazz from a live band.



Joel is sitting here with Robert, Lynn and Richard. You can see my empty pink chair, just calling out to me to sit down and relax.


But, of course, before I settle in and become one with the chair, I wandered around the park to snap photos of the pretty blossoms in the trees and on the ground.




This is the jazz group, their name is Jazz Survivors.



The bench and the tree stumps are public art, part of Lauderhill's percent for art program. They commissioned two of our artists to create the art in this park . . . Ilene Lieberman Park. The artists, Beth Ravitz and George Gadson are also part of the Broward County Public Art and Design Program and grant recipients. There is more art in the park . . . on the gazebo, behind the stage area and along the concrete paths.
























I just liked the way this tree looked, bare like it was the middle of winter up north, but on a lush, green golf course.




Don't know what kind of bird this is, but I was very interested in watching him in the murky water next to the park. There were two little boys, 5 and 7 years old, talkikng to me the entire time I was trying to watch this bird. They weren't really bothering me and I found it sweet that they were so interested in my camera and why I was taking photos of the bird.



I wouldn't have taken this photo if it weren't for my two new little friends. They pointed out the "bees" to me and I immediately pulled them away because these are wasps and don't need much provocation to start stinging and they don't stop like bees. I was fascinated in their construction of their home underneath the wooden railing that I was leaning on to take the photos of the bird. In fact, my little friends may have saved me from a painful sting!!



So this is what the Mayor and his wife do as empty nesters on a Sunday morning!!



Even Joel looks relaxed!

No comments: