Sunday, December 27, 2009

Project 365 - December 27, 2009

Rest in Peace


People die daily. But when you are touched by death in a very personal way, your life suddenly changes . . . forever.

On Christmas morning my cousin Michael called. I thought he was just going to tell me that he had a wonderful time at my house Christmas eve. But I heard a different tone in his voice and knew this was a serious call.

He called to tell me that his brother Scott had a heart attack and died. He said it fast, like he had to spit out the words like something that tasted bad. I gasped. Rachel kept asking, "what is it, what is it Mommy??"

After I hung up I sobbed uncontrollbly for a long time before I could tell her. You see, Scott is the third of four brothers. We all grew up together in New York. First they lived in Brooklyn and then in Far Rockaway and then just a few blocks from my childhood home.

We were always at each other's homes. My mom and their dad grew up together in Brooklyn. Their mom's came over from Europe together as youths.

Scott was 48 years old. He was married for 24 years, lived in East Rockaway, had three beautiful children. He was a partner with his dad in a hearing aid business.

Scott could make anyone smile. He had an enormous source of energy that he used to love his children, his wife, his family and his community. He had a love for baseball that drove him to try out for the Mets in his 30s! He loved music and played drums.

Sure he was nutty, but all the Crohn's are. That is what made him so lovable.

When my mom was sick, he was right there for me. Holding my hand and throwing his arm around my shoulder as they did CAT scans and MRIs and whatever else to see if they could save my mom.

When Julia was born, I happened to be in NY and I got to be in the room as they wheeled her in and her proud papa scooped her up and held her so we could all see her sweet little face.

So, learn to live your life. Enjoy every moment. Life is incredibly short and we all need to be doing what we love. Find your passions. Create lasting memories.

Rest in peace my sweet cousin. I will always remember the twinkle in your eyes and the smile on your face.

No comments: