Saturday, July 20, 2013

Photo of the Day - June 22, 2013

Girl's Night Out
 

Art. It brings people together. It makes you think. It gets people talking. It is also an excuse to have alcoholic beverages and be social.

Rachel and I decided to attend the opening night of the South Florida Cultural Consortium Visual and Media Artists Fellowship Recipients exhibition at the Museum of Art l Fort Lauderdale. We started by picking up Samantha and heading
over to the Riverside Market in Sailboat Bend. We had a couple of hours to burn so we relaxed on the couches, shared a bottle of wine and snacked on tasty sandwiches.
 

By the time that we arrived at the Museum there was already a healthy crowd in attendance. I never know who I will bump into and that is part of the excitement and surprise of these events. Rachel and I ended up losing Samantha as we wandered through the exhibition, which was by far, the best I have ever seen in my quarter century at the Broward Cultural Division! 

There were 14 artists in total on exhibit from the five counties -- Martin, Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade and and Monroe. There were very interesting pieces -- one in particular was a performance piece where the artist sat at a desk, flipped through her journals and sketchbook, then rhythmically ripped out the pages and ran them through a shredder. People were fascinated with the artist and stood and watched for very long periods.

There was another exhibition upstairs by Bunny Yeager, but that was not open to the public at the time we were there. I was a bit disappointed but gives me a reason to return! 


Rachel and I drove home in silence. Each lost in our own thoughts. Not upset, not emotional, just quiet and perhaps sleepy. All in all, it was a very satisfying evening with my grown up daughter.

No comments: