Saturday, February 20, 2010

Project 365 - February 19, 2010

My Lens is Back from the Repair Shop

So two weeks ago we had a guest speaker in our photography class. He talked to us about camera care and repair. He passed around damaged camera bodies and lenses. After his talk he gave us his business card and left. He wasn't there to sell anything, except to say that he was there if we ever needed him. And even in emergencies, we could call anytime or email anytime.

Well, a few days later I took my camera out of the case, removed the lens cap, turned the camera on and lo and behold . . . my lens was locked and wouldn't move an inch. I couldn't zoom, but I could focus. It was painfully scary to realize that my 55 mm lens was broken.

I knew that I was off from work on Monday because it was President's Day and a furlough day for us at the County. I had planned on going to North Miami to take my camera in for a cleaning. My sensor was filthy and really had needed a good cleaning about a year ago. So I trekked down to North Miami with Adina and left my lens for an estimate and waited while they cleaned my sensor.

On Thursday I received a call that the lens was fixed and it only cost $79 (that was with my 50 percent discount because I am a student). So Friday I trekked on down to North Miami at lunch time to pick up my lens. I was so happy to have it back. I really felt lost without it. I know that I have the 200mm zoom lens but I really missed my 55mm lens.

So of course I had to use it right away to make sure it worked. Right near the camera repair shop there is an ancient Spanish monastery that was built in Segovia, Spain in 1133-1141 and then reconstructed here in North Miami in 1952. I didn't have any cash and they didn't take credit cards under $20 so I didn't get to go into the property, but I took these two photos in the gift shop. I am definitely going back there to take photos. It is a beautiful property.


No comments: