Thursday, June 4, 2009

Project 365 - May 31, 2009

Graduation Day

It happens before you can realize what happens. Your babies start walking and talking and then driving and then they graduate from high school! It seems to fly by when you are standing outside the Broward Center for the Performing Arts, in the 90 degree heat of the day patiently snapping the obligatory photos of your child and all of her friends in their caps and gowns and garnishes of multicolored cords and drapes and medals earned over their school careers. Then you sit and listen to endless speeches and finally, finally you hear your child's name, clear as a bell and she walks across the stage shaking the hands of each of the myriad of school officials standing in a row looking much like penguins in their black robes, some who knew her well offering hugs and whispering something that makes her laugh, and then it is over. She is a graduate. She is ready to leave your home and head off to college.

Daunting reality sets in.

Did I cry? No. Why? Not sure. But I didn't. I was beaming. I was smiling and happy and snapping photo after photo and even pulling out my Blackberry to use the video function to capture them calling our her name. Everyone thought that I would collapse in an emotional melt down. But I didn't. Perhaps it will hit me when she leaves for school? Not sure. But all I can say is that I am really proud of my baby girl. She has grown up to be quite a young woman. She has a long way to go still, but she has a fabulous foundation on which to build.

No comments: